Monday, June 26, 2006

Be Careful Out There

I was devastated to learn that an acquaintance from an online bike forum was killed Sunday by a motorist, during the first weekend of a cross-country ride.

It was seriously a few days ago that he was saying goodbye, off to do his dream ride on his recumbent. And now he's gone. I just can't believe it.

I did not know Phil well, but I did know his rides, his stories, and his amazing devotion to his teenage son. He is the second person within a year I've known who has died on his bike. I really hope he's the last. There are enough assholes in the world, we can't afford to lose any more good guys.

When we all go out riding, it's getting harder to take for granted that we'll all come back in one piece. Share the road, people, share the road.

Here's to Phil, who took chances and lived his life, up until the very end. Peace.

Bicyclist dies in fatal collision near Davenport

No comments: