Monday, April 23, 2007

Hummer vs. Prius: This Time It's Personal




I am SO gonna kick your ass!



Whenever we travel, we have our own barometer to determine the political makeup and cultural tone of a town. No, not the Internet. That's for cheaters. We like to count the number of Hummers we see versus the number of Priuses on the road. A high Prius-to-Hummer ratio means lots of Barack Obama, shamans, and green cleaning supplies. A high Hummer-to-Prius ratio? God Bless the USA, and try not to shoot your hunting buddy.







Except you'll RUN OUT OF GAS on the way to do it!!


Of course, in San Francisco, you can see about a thousand Priuses a day. I'll see 20 or so taking Gianni to school. I think there are a few living in our hall closet. The only time you see a Hummer is when one is lost on the way to Sacramento.

There used to be a Hummer in our neighborhood, right around the start of Gulf War II. It was a bright yellow Hummer, and it's vivid paint job looked lovely next to the contrast of black Sharpie graffiti that the owner had to regularly sponge off its body. I generally think vandalizing other people's property is a crapass pussy thing to do. But even I had to admire the creativity that came out in the defiling of the Hummer. People really tried, man. Finally, the owner put a sign on the window that said, "I am part of the noble union of carpenters, I use this car for my JOB, it is necessary, please don't trash it." Because yeah, you have to barrel over a lot of steep rock faces to get to your next remodeling job in Noe Valley. Eventually, people got bored, and later, the Hummer just disappeared. Either the guy got tired of wiping off liberal graffiti or he moved on, finding a flock of his peeps in Dallas or Iraq or the local penis enlargement clinic.


When we decided to move, Hummer vs. Prius was something that concerned us very much. Did Boulder have a good ratio? Were we going to be crushed like grapes by the H-Monsters of Colorado? We were relieved to find that the ratio was overwhelmingly in favor of the small but mighty Prius. We might see a few Hummers here and there, but on the whole the city of Boulder is rockin' the Prius. In fact, I think a fair chunk of Boulderites see even Prius drivers as gas guzzling pigdogs as they ride buy on their bikes. I guess that's better than the alternative.



You wanna know what's scary? Florida. For all kinds of reasons, but when we were there a few weeks ago, our grand total was:


Prius: 4


Hummer: 25!!!!!!


TWENTY FIVE Hummers! Can you believe it?? As if Al Gore didn't have enough of a reason to want to see Florida reclaimed by the sea as a result of global warming. I don't think I've ever been in one place where I've seen so many of them. I mean, we see a lot of Priuses, but there's a difference: one car brings us closer to the collapse of civilization due to oil dependence; and one doesn't.


That is just nuts. If I ever see hell, I know it will look a lot like Florida. But I'm sure to Dick Cheney, hell looks a lot like my living room. So it all evens out.

Yep, saw one of these, too.

3 comments:

John&Tam said...

This is not a comment on this particular entry, per se...

This is a comment on the whole blog.

wow.

I don't know how I missed this... I don't think I got an e-mail about it... But... I saw a reference to it in an e-mail and clicked over...

...then I read the WHOLE THING. It was great! Fantastic writing! Keep it up! (I even watched the Joss W. speech)

GREAT JOB, JULIE!!!!!!!!

-John Mav....

Julie Polito said...

this is not a paid opinion placement. i do not know this john mav person. i claim no responsibility for his words or actions.

so, see you this weekend? when you become the godfather of my child?

mwah.

John&Tam said...

ha ha...

No. I've never met Julie. I don't know her husband, Rick... nor her two swell kids... Biff and Biffette.

...and all the great people move... (dammit.) Thank God for electronic communication and jumbo mechanical birds we can climb aboard.